To get your learners permit, you should apply to the National Drivers Licence Service, submitting the valid theory test certificate along with the following documentation:
- A completed application form D.20
- Your current or last driving licence and/or learner permit if you have one
- Your driver theory test certificate
- A driving licence Eyesight report form. A completed eyesight report form must accompany all first learner permit applications
- A driving Licence Medical Report Form may be required
- The appropriate fee.
A learner permit holder for a car can start to drive but has a number of restrictions:
- Must be accompanied by a person who has held a full licence for a motorcar for two years.
- Cannot drive on a motorway
- Must display the letter L plates on the vehicle or in the case of motorcyclists wear a tabard displaying the letter L on the front and back?
- Cannot take a driving test until s/he holds the first learner permit for at least six months and has a completed a minimum of 12 Essential Driving Training lesions with an ROS registered approved Driving Instructor
- In the case of motorcyclists s/he must complete the 16 hours of Initial Basic Training before they can ride the motorcycle other than when taking this training.
- Reduced drinking and driving limits for learner drivers.
- Lower Penalty points threshold for new holders of a learner permit. A learner permit lasts for 2 years and can be renewed for a further 2 years following which it generally lasts for one year unless the person has taken a driving test.